Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls -BeyondProfit Compass
Indexbit Exchange:Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:18:00
FORT WAYNE,Indexbit Exchange Ind. (AP) — The last of 16 jurors were seated Tuesday for the murder trial of a man charged in the Indiana killings of two teenage girls slain in 2017 during a winter hike.
Twelve jurors and four alternates were chosen Monday and Tuesday in Fort Wayne, Indiana, to hear Richard Allen’s trial in the killings of 13-year-old Abigail Williams and 14-year-old Liberty German.
Allen, 52, is charged with two counts of murder and two counts of murder while committing or attempting to commit kidnapping in the killings of the Delphi, Indiana, eighth graders, known as Abby and Libby. If convicted, Allen could face up to 130 years in prison.
The jurors will be sworn in Thursday for the trial in Delphi, a community of about 3,000 some 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Indianapolis. Opening statements are set for Friday morning.
The trial is expected to last a month. The jurors will be sequestered throughout the proceedings, monitored by bailiffs and banned from using cellphones or watching news broadcasts.
Prosecutors said they plan to call about 50 witnesses, while Allen’s defense attorneys expect to call about 120 people to the stand.
Allen, a pharmacy technician who had lived and worked in Delphi, was arrested in October 2022.
A relative had dropped the teens off at a hiking trail just outside Delphi on Feb. 13, 2017, but the two friends failed to show up at the agreed pickup site later that day. They were reported missing that evening and their bodies were found the next day in a rugged, wooded area near the trail.
Within days, police released files found on Libby’s cellphone — two grainy photos and audio of a man saying “down the hill” — that they believed captured the killer.
Investigators released one sketch of the suspect in July 2017 and another in April 2019. They also released a brief video showing the suspect walking on an abandoned railroad bridge.
After years of failing to identify a suspect, investigators said they went back and reviewed “prior tips.”
Allen had been interviewed in 2017. He told the officer that he had been walking on the trail the day the girls went missing and that he saw three “females” at another bridge but did not speak to them. He said he did not notice anyone else because he was distracted by a stock ticker on his phone, according to an arrest affidavit.
Police interviewed Allen again on Oct. 13, 2022, when he reasserted he had seen three “juvenile girls” during his walk in 2017. Investigators searched Allen’s home and seized a .40-caliber pistol. Prosecutors said testing determined an unspent bullet found between the teen’s bodies “had been cycled through” Allen’s gun.
According to the affidavit, Allen said he’d never been where the bullet was found and “had no explanation as to why a round cycled through his firearm would be at that location.”
The case is subject to a gag order approved by Allen County Superior Court Judge Fran Gull, the special judge overseeing the trial. Allen’s trial has been repeatedly delayed after evidence was leaked, Allen’s public defenders withdrew and were later reinstated by the Indiana Supreme Court.
veryGood! (6638)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Kentucky governor announces departure of commissioner running troubled juvenile justice agency
- Hunter Biden files motion to subpoena Trump, Bill Barr, other Justice Dept officials
- Atlanta to host 2025 MLB All-Star Game after losing 2021 game over objections to voting law
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- AP PHOTOS: The faces of pastoralists in Senegal, where connection to animals is key
- Rare Inverted Jenny stamp sold at auction for record-breaking $2 million to NY collector
- College Football Playoff concert series to feature Jack Harlow, Latto and Jon Pardi
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- The bearer of good news? More pandas could return to US, Chinese leader Xi hints
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- U.S. business leaders meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping
- The judge in Trump’s Georgia election case limits the disclosure of evidence after videos’ release
- Atlanta Braves selected to host 2025 MLB All-Star Game
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Officials investigate cause of Atlantic City Boardwalk fire that damaged facade of Resorts casino
- Stock market today: Asian stocks pulled lower by profit warnings and signs the US economy is slowing
- U.S. business leaders meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Judge allows Ja Morant’s lawyers to argue he acted in self-defense in lawsuit about fight with teen
North Carolina lottery expands online game offerings through ‘digital instants’
Trial of ex-officer Brett Hankison in Breonna Taylor death ends with hung jury: What's next
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Guatemala prosecutors pursue president-elect and student protesters over campus takeover
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accused by Cassie of sex trafficking, rape and physical abuse in lawsuit
Wait, there's going to be a 'Frozen 4' now? Disney CEO reveals second new sequel underway